Monday, December 14, 2009

More on that doll class


Marlaine Verhelst's doll class was a major factor in when we chose to go to Paris. I wanted to take it because Marlaine, in addition to being a fabulous doll maker, is a talented and skilled sculptor, and I wanted to improve my ability to sculpt realistic figures.


Anyone who knows me or has seen my work knows that this is not what I usually do, and, in fact, it's not something I want to do often, but I was feeling that I needed to have a better grounding, a more solid jumping-off place, if you will, to do what interests me. Look at Picasso--one of the things seeing a lot of his work in Paris made me remember that he was a consummate draftsman. So I thought doing something a bit more structured would ultimately give me more freedom. I don't know if that's true, but I enjoyed the class (and the week at the chateau, and the other participants and thier families) immensely, and I'm happy with my doll, too.


I told Marlaine before I signed up for the class that, much as I love her dolls, I'm not interested in making them, but wanted to learn some technique and refresh my basic knowledge of anatomy, which was fine with her.

Knowing that, can you guess which of the heads in this basket is mine?

No comments:

Post a Comment